Health & Fitness Resources
The Keys to Better Living
- Exercise: Enjoy the Good Life Provides an exercise plan for seniors. Sample exercises include directions and diagrams so that you can get started on your own. (President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports)
- NIHSeniorHealth: Exercise for Older Adults Covers the benefits of exercise for seniors, safe exercises to try, an FAQ, and charts to track your progress. (National Institute of Health)
- NIH Exercise Guide Sample exercises and charts. (National Institute of Health)
- The Water Well Discusses the benefits of water exercise for people with medical conditions like osteoporosis, diabetes, and back problems. (Aquatic Exercise Association)
- Yoga Slows the Aging Process Outlines the benefits of yoga and the many different types of yoga. The site includes extensive health information as well as an animated section showing many of the various postures and poses.
- Chair Exercises for Elderly People Describes a variety of fitness routines for chair-bound seniors. Video demonstrations provided. (Livestrong.com)
An Effective Routineand be fit over Fifty!
Scientific evidence suggests that regular exercise can reverse the symptoms of aging. In fact many of us can be in better health in our 70's than we were in our 50's. Incorporating exercise into your lifestyle can improve heart & respiratory function, lower our blood pressure, reduce body fat, increase muscle mass, and reduce your susceptibility to depression & disease. Read More
“Since I've been exercising I feel like I've gained twenty years back. Hygeia-Health.com has provided me with the knowledge I needed to regain not only my physical health, but my mental well-being as well. It's a great resource for seniors!” — Helen B., Retiree
American Senior Fitness AssociationThe Leader in Older Adult Fitness Education
SFA courses help professionals in the career field of physical fitness training for seniors. The SFA offers state-of-the-art textbooks, training manuals, and videos designed to help you create the best possible senior fitness programs. The courses are written and designed by premier authorities in the field and are peer-reviewed for accuracy and effectiveness. All of their programs have been diligently researched and extensively tested to ensure the best possible senior fitness programs are available. Learn More